End U.S. Funding of Israel’s Human Rights Abuses
Israel’s brutal assault on the Palestinian people continues to escalate, as Israel demolishes homes in Al Walaja, Silwan, and more; attacks and jails protesters; collectively punishes prisoners; bombs the Gaza Strip, killing 254 Palestinian people in May 2021; and continues its ongoing annexation and ethnic cleansing. Every year, Israel detains and prosecutes between 500 and 700 Palestinian children in military courts that lack due process guarantees and have a conviction rate of 99.74 percent. That’s why Palestinian organizers and leaders are loudly and clearly demanding an end to all U.S. complicity.
On April 15, 2021, Rep. Betty McCollum (D-MN) introduced legislation in Congress that would prohibit U.S. tax dollars from funding the Israeli military detention of Palestinian children, home demolitions, and continual annexation and land theft, and includes detailed accountability and tracking measures on Israeli use of U.S. funding. H.R. 2590, the Defending the Human Rights of Palestinian Children and Families Living Under Israeli Military Occupation Act, boasts 32 cosponsors and counting. It is the follow-up to H.R. 2407 in the last Congress (and previously, H.R. 4391).
Over 170 organizations endorsed this historic bill, from groups across movement spaces like United We Dream, Detention Watch Network, Movement 4 Black Lives, and Sunrise, to Justice Democrats, Working Families Party, MoveOn and Indivisible, and dozens of local groups.
Together we must defund tax dollars from all systems of harm. H.R. 2590, the Palestinian Children and Families Act, insists on the rights to safety, dignity, and freedom for the Palestinian people and aims to end U.S. funding for Israeli military occupation abuses, laying the groundwork for achieving justice.
Speak up so our representatives hear that, at minimum, they must cosponsor H.R. 2590, and they should introduce additional legislation to advance Palestinian human rights and end U.S. complicity in the ethnic cleansing of the Palestinian people by ending the flow of all military funding to Israel.
Tell your member of Congress to sign on to H.R. 2590!
- Read the bill and see its cosponsors
- Memo: Congress Must Meet Escalating Israeli Repression & Settlement Expansion with Accountability (H. Res. 751 and H.R. 2590)
- Memo: the Two State Solution Act Fails to Advance a Rights-Based Foreign Policy
- Fact sheet on H.R. 2590 from the No Way to Treat a Child Campaign
- Social Media Toolkit: Help Our Movement Move Congress: Amplify H.R. 2590 & Drive Action
- Freedom is the Future Legislative Guide for more policy demands
H.R. 2407 in the Last Congress
- Read the text of H.R. 2407 and see its cosponsors
- Talking Points: Support H.R. 2407 to Promote Human Rights for Palestinian Children Living Under Israeli Military Occupation (USCPR)
- Resource: 5.2 Million Churchgoers Say: Stand with the Oppressed by Supporting Palestinian Children’s Rights (H.R. 2407) (USCPR & FOSNA)
- Factsheet: Palestinian Children in the Israeli Military Detention System (DCIP)
- Report: No Way to Treat a Child: Palestinian Children in the Israeli Military Detention System (DCIP)