Take Action for the 75th Anniversary of the Nakba
Illustration by Raneem Hijazi: raneemhijazi.carrd.co
For centuries, the Palestinian people had been living in vibrant towns and cities in Palestine. But in 1948, Israeli militias forced over 75% of the native Palestinian population out of their homes and off their land. Palestinian people call this the “Nakba,” an Arabic word meaning “catastrophe.”
Only the Nakba never ended. It’s still happening now, as the Israeli apartheid state continues to ethnically cleanse the Palestinian people again and again. This past week, Israel has been bombing Palestinian families in Gaza, killing at least 33 Palestinian people in this latest massacre.
This month, on May 15, 2023, we commemorate the 75th anniversary of the Nakba, honoring our martyrs and ancestors and uplifting the steadfast spirit of Palestinian resistance.
Take action now! See below for actions you can take, resources, and even posters you can print to take with you to the streets. Use the #Nakba75 hashtag on social media.
1. Join a #Nakba75 protest or event
Join one of these planned actions! This is a list of all the protests and events we’re aware of in the U.S. These events are organized by various groups including the Palestinian Youth Movement, the US Palestinian Community Network, American Muslims for Palestine, and other organizations working toward Palestinian liberation. Follow the Palestinian Youth Movement on Instagram for more.
- Tucson, AZ: May 15, 5 PM. Congress St. & 4th Ave. and Rally at the Federal Building.
- Los Angeles, CA: May 13, 12 PM. Pershing Square.
- San Francisco, CA: May 13, 2 PM. 518 Valencia St.
- Davis, CA: May 15, 12 PM. West Quad of UC Davis.
- Santa Barbara, CA: May 15, 11 AM. Storke Tower at UCSB.
- Washington, DC: May 14, 1 PM. Washington Monument.
- Tampa, FL: May 13, 5 PM. Fowler & N 56th St.
- Boston, MA: May 15, 5 PM. Cambridge City Hall.
- Dearborn, MI: May 13, 2 PM. Starting at the Arab American National Museum parking lot.
- Raleigh, NC: May 13, 2 PM teach-in and 3 PM rally. Moore Square.
- Brooklyn, NYC, NY: May 13, 2 PM. 72nd & 5th Ave in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn.
- Manhattan, NYC, NY: May 14, 12 PM. Times Square.
- Manhattan, NYC, NY: May 15, 10 AM. Dag Hammarskjöld Plaza.
- White Plains, NY: May 15, 4 PM. Starting at the downtown White Plains fountain.
- Portland, OR: May 21, 1:30 PM. Rally and Palestine Festival. SW Park Ave & SW Madison St.
- Philadelphia, PA: May 13, 12:30 PM. Rittenhouse Square.
- Pittsburgh, PA: May 15, 4:30 PM. Federal Building.
- Austin, TX: May 14, 12 PM. Texas Capitol.
- Dallas, TX: May 12, 5 PM. Civic Garden.
- Houston, TX: May 15, 4 PM. Banner drop at 59 Sheperd Exit.
- Seattle, WA: May 13, 12 noon. Cal Anderson Park, North Lawn.
- Milwaukee, WI: May 13, 12 noon. The Orange Sunburst Sculpture (The Calling).
Commemorations, Art Exhibits, & Community Gatherings:
- Orange County, CA: May 18, 6 PM. “Nakba 75 Commemoration with Nkosi Zwelivelile Mandela” (Santa Ana High School).
- Sacramento, CA: May 13, 6-9 PM. “Nakba Commemoration at Second Saturday Art Walk” (First United Methodist Church of Sacramento courtyard).
- San Diego, CA: May 20, 5:30 PM. “Commemorating 75 Years of Nakba: Reclamation & Resistance” with keynote speaker Fayrouz Sharqawi (Recital Hall at Balboa Park).
- San Francisco, CA: May 19, 6 PM. “Nakba 75 Commemoration with Nkosi Zwelivelile Mandela” (San Francisco State University Knuth Hall – Creative Arts Building).
- Boulder, CO: May 13, 11 AM-5 PM. “Palestinian Cultural Day at the Museum of Boulder” (Museum of Boulder at Tebo Center).
- Washington, DC: May 11-May 19. “Commemoration of 75 Years of the Nakba at Museum of the Palestinian People” series of events.
- Washington, DC: May 13, 11 AM. “Nakba 75 Convening” (George Washington University).
- Washington, DC: May 18, 5:30 PM. “Remembering the Nakba, Preparing for Return” with Nakba survivor Dr. Abdul-Ghaffar Musa (The Jerusalem Fund and Palestine Center).
- Atlanta, GA: May 13, 1 PM. “Nakba 75 Panel: Reclamation and Resistance” (Alif Institute).
- Chicago, IL: May 20, 7 PM. “Nakba 75 Commemoration with Nkosi Zwelivelile Mandela” (Chicago Teachers Union).
- Chicago, IL: May 26, 11:30 AM. “The 2nd Annual Palestine Flag Raising Ceremony” (Richard J. Daley Center).
- Detroit, MI: May 20-June 17, with opening reception starting May 20 at 5:30 PM. “Palestine: Commemorating Al Nakba” art show (33 East Adams).
- Detroit, MI Online: May 11, 7 PM. “Nakba 75: Impact & Resilience Across Generations” (Virtual Discussion).
- Minneapolis, MN: May 16, 7 PM. “Nakba 75 Commemoration with Nkosi Zwelivelile Mandela” (Cowles Auditorium, Humphrey School of Public Affairs, University of Minnesota).
- Northfield, MN: May 13, 1 PM. “Commemorating the 75th Anniversary of Palestine’s 1948 Catastrophe” (Bridge Square) and “Art: A Window to Palestine” exhibit during the month of May (Northfield Arts Guild, Up Gallery).
- Kansas City, MO: May 20, 6 PM. “Commemoration of the 75th Anniversary of the Nakba” (Islamic Society of Kansas City gymnasium)”.
- St. Louis, MO: May 15, 6 PM. “Teach-In on U.S. and Local Military Funding and Abolition” (3147 S. Grand Blvd).
- Paterson, NJ: May 13, 8 PM. “Nakba 75: Perseverance Toward Palestinian Liberation” (Islamic Center of Passaic County).
- Paterson, NJ: May 14, 1 PM. “Palestine Way Street Festival.”
- Albuquerque, NM: May 16, 6:30 PM. “Al Nakba: The Palestinian Catastrophe” Al Jazeera documentary film screening and discussion (Nahalat Shalom).
- Cleveland, OH: May 17, 7 PM. “Nakba 75 Commemoration with Nkosi Zwelivelile Mandela” (Cleveland State University, Ronald Berkman Hall).
- Providence, RI: May 13, 3 PM. “Farha film screening” (Rochambeau Library).
- Houston, TX: May 14, 5 PM. “The Nakba: A Historical Commemoration” (Arab American Cultural & Community Center).
- Milwaukee, WI: May 15, 6:30 PM. “Nakba 75 Commemoration with Nkosi Zwelivelile Mandela” (Turner Hall).
- Online: May 21, 2 PM CT. “Nakba 75: Remembering the Voices” for the Voices from the Holy Land online film salon.
- Online: May 12, 1 PM ET. “Palestinian Collective Memory: 75 Years of Nakba and Resistance” from the Palestine-Global Mental Health Network.
*Know of other protests and events that you’d like included on this list? Email email@example.com with the subject “Nakba events.”
**Tweet pictures and videos of your Nakba Day actions using #Nakba75.
Download and print signs to take along!
“Palestine Will Be Free: #StopArmingIsrael & Fund Our Communities” Poster
Illustration by Raneem Hijazi: raneemhijazi.carrd.co.
More Downloadable Posters
See all posters to download in the folder here.
2. Look up: How Much of Your Community’s Tax Dollars Fund Israel’s Violence?
Every year, the U.S. government writes Israel a blank check for at least $3.8 billion. With your federal U.S. tax dollars, the Israeli military is bombing Palestinian people in Gaza, destroying Palestinian homes, and stealing native Palestinian land, in violation of U.S. laws.
How much do people in your city pay? What could be funded instead? Find out above on our interactive U.S. Military Funding to Israel map, and demand Congress #StopArmingIsrael.
Read more about how to use and share this map, including the methodology behind it.
3. Tell Congress to #StopArmingIsrael
Israel’s horrific violence against the Palestinian people is actively funded and enabled by the U.S. government, which sends $3.8+ billion/year of our tax dollars to the Israeli military.
A better future is possible when the people demand it. A world where we #StopArmingIsrael, #StopCopCity, and instead reimagine how we can fund the future of our communities. That begins with refusing to fund state violence, from the Israeli military to the U.S. police state. You can fight with us for this liberated future and demand Congress take action.
Tell Congress to #StopArmingIsrael and #StopCopCity.
Share on social media too!
Follow USCPR on Instagram for more, and uplift Palestinian voices with this Gaza Updates Twitter list.