The numbers are beyond anything we could have imagined:
Over 150 actions in 101 cities in 30 countries on 6 continents!
The Boycott HP Week of Action was a phenomenal success, with creative actions in Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Colombia, Costa Rica, India, Japan, Kenya, Malaysia, Peru, Sudan, and across the Middle East, Europe, and North America! In the U.S. alone, there were 40 actions in more than 30 cities across 16 states! It is extraordinary what we can achieve when we build together, and the victories have already begun:
Member group Friends of Sabeel-North America just announced that Santa Cruz’s Peace United Church of Christ became the first HP-free church! FOSNA’s HP-free churches campaign provides a powerful model to bring denomination-based divestment wins to the congregational level. Register for FOSNA’s HP-free churches how-to webinar on December 20th!
In Italy, HP was removed from the program of an Italian “Ethics and Social Responsibility in Information Technology” conference following efforts from BDS Italia.
In Derry, Northern Ireland, five councillors gave back their HP equipment in support of the boycott as part of the week of action.
The diversity of actions and tactics was stunning…
- In Rome, activists dropped a banner near the Colosseum to kick off the week of action that saw 26 actions across Italy.
- In the Gibraltar countryside of southern Spain, activists produced their own original boycott HP video.
- In Berlin, Germany and Seattle, activists lifted up indigenous resistance from Standing Rock to Palestine. The Northwest BDS Coalition’s mic-check flash mobs offer a fantastic action model.
- In Jerusalem, students revealed why they’d been placing stickers on HP equipment saying “When I grow up, I wanna be a checkpoint,” kicking off a campus boycott campaign.
- In Philadelphia and Boston, students came together to learn why HP is an important BDS target while in Kuala Lumpur activists held actions at public university libraries.
- In Valencia, Spain, students performed a mock checkpoint.
- In Khartoum, Sudan, activists held a lively action in a park passing out boycott HP stickers and flyers.
- In Osaka, Japan and Los Angeles, organizers erected mock apartheid walls.
- In Hamburg, Germany, activists projected a video about HP’s crimes in a spirited protest outside a major electronics store.
- In San Francisco, a stone’s throw from HP headquarters, activists projected images of HP’s oppressive activities onto buildings and performed boycott HP street theatre.
- In Toledo, OH; New York City and Ithaca, NY; Santa Fe, NM; Asheville, NC; Rome, GA; Doral, FL; Omaha, NE; Pittsburgh, PA; St. Louis, MO; up and down the state of California; and in too many other cities to count, activists sang boycott HP carols, held signs and passed out flyers, educating shoppers and passersby.
- Around the world, activists jammed the #HPEDiscover hashtag as British activists engaged HP employees and clients at a trade show starting the same day as the International Day of Solidarity with the Palestinian people — just one of more than 40 actions in the UK alone!
- And on and on…
After some spirited BDS caroling, member group Adalah-NY created a video of photos here and others can be found on this Week of Action gallery. You can watch the photos, videos, and reports unfold on Facebook or following #StopHP and #BoycottHP on Twitter and Instagram.
The HP boycott momentum is only just beginning. It’s easy to be a part of this dynamic campaign:
P.S. US Campaign staff worked months around the clock with the Palestinian BDS National Committee to coordinate this global week of action. We can only do this type of intensive organizing with support from people like you. We want to do more, and that requires resources. Help us celebrate this successful week of action and invest in more like it with a gift today.