On November 14, 2017, Rep. Betty McCollum (D-MN) and nine original cosponsors introduced H.R.4391, the Promoting Human Rights by Ending Israeli Military Detention of Palestinian Children Act. As of October 2018, the bill boasts 30 cosponsors.
This groundbreaking bill would prevent US aid to Israel from being used to detain, interrogate, ill-treat, and imprison Palestinian children in its separate-and-unequal military courts.
Watch our video to learn more about why this bill is necessary and then contact your representative to ask them to support it.
- Read our talking points about why this legislation is necessary and what it would do.
- Read the text of the bill and view its current cosponsors.
- Read Defense for Children International-Palestine’s report “No Way to Treat a Child: Palestinian Children in the Israeli Military Detention System.”
- Read our Policy Director, Josh Ruebner’s article “American Dollars Must Not Be Spent On Ahed Tamimi’s Arrest.“
- Read and share our action alerts: “In 2018, I resolve to dismantle the system denying Ahed Tamimi her childhood” and “Huge News! There’s a new bill in Congress to defend Palestinian children’s rights.“