70 years after the Nakba. The greatest mass mobilization in years in the form of the Great Return March. Another spike in mass arrests and home demolitions. The city of Dublin divesting from the Israeli occupation. Lives stolen and cut short. An ongoing military occupation and blockade. Lives lost, lives gained, lives celebrated and memorialized.
2018 has already held so much Palestine, and there is only more to come. In the midst of the long struggle for freedom, justice, and equality, we call on visual artists to UNLEASH their imaginations and visualize futures.
UNLEASHED: visualizing futures is an art competition, open to all visual artists and creators, to imagine liberation and what might our worlds and communities feel like after the fight is won and we are freed. Palestinian artists have the option to submit under the second call to artistry, to meditate on Palestine beyond apartheid.
- The artwork must be a two-dimensional form of visual art: drawing, painting, printmaking, photography, or graphic design are eligible.
- The actual artwork should be no larger than 16″ x 20.” There is no minimum size.
- One submission per person.
- The submission deadline is 11:59 PM EST on Tuesday, July 31, 2018.
The top ten submissions will be notified by August 28, 2018 and their artwork will be printed and displayed at USCPR’s national conference September 28-30 in St. Paul, MN.
The top three winners will be announced at the conference on Saturday, September 29. Cash awards consist of:
- First place: $1,000
- Second place: $750
- Third place: $500
USCPR will display the top ten submissions on its website. The winning entries will be used for USCPR purposes, including fundraising. The top ten artists will be asked to sign a permissions agreement with USCPR.
A panel of eight judges will judge entries based on the following criteria:
- Interpretation and the clarity of the theme.
- Whether the artwork shows clear interpretation of the UNLEASHED theme.
- Creativity and originality of the depicted theme.
- Whether the artwork shows novelty, uniqueness, and distinctive nature of artist’s particular voice.
- Quality of artistic composition and overall design based on the theme.
- Whether the artwork shows and effectively utilizes knowledge of the elements and principles of design.
- Overall impression of the artwork.
- Does the artwork stand on its own as a complete and outstanding work of art?
Use this form to submit your artwork:
- File format: JPEG or PNG
- File dimensions: no larger than 1600 x 2000 pixels
- File resolution: 300 dpi
- File size: 10 MB maximum
Terms and Conditions
Read the terms and conditions of this competition.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
Artist’s Note About UNLEASHED: visualizing futures Design
by Lena G.
A bit of insight into the design of the theme:UNLEASHED came from a vision of unrestrained possibilities, but one with power and directionality behind it. To be free is to move upwards and outwards, no barriers. The sunburst rays symbolize movement and directionality to the unknown future, while also paying homage to the Black liberation movement. The yellow rays speak to a positive growth, while the black background suggests both positive and unexpected outcomes. The mirroring of the banner speaks to alternate realities and futures. Bringing in Palestinian identity and resistance, the face of the figure in the foreground is covered with a kuffiyeh, leaving their gender unidentifiable. The flowers in the background immediately challenge any notion of militarism associated with the wearing of the kuffiyeh in this style – a toxic and racist association that conflates Palestinians the struggle for freedom, justice, and equality with aggression and violence.